Get To Know Us!
What We Believe
At Smyser Christian Church we believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ, and it is our unwavering conviction that the Bible is the infallible Word of God (John 1:1, II Timothy 3:16,17). Therefore we have no creed but Christ, and no statement of faith, but the Bible.
This body of believers wears Christ’s name only (Acts 4:12, 11:26).
Our aim is to restore the church of the New Testament (Matthew 16:18, Acts 2, Ephesians 5:25-27).
Our Mission Statement
Alert the world of God’s truth. Mk 16:15
Guide & teach all believers, preparing them for spiritual maturity. Heb. 5:13 – 6:2
Accept responsibility for seeking & saving the lost. Lk. 19:10 & Mat.18:12,14
Provide for the needy, both spiritually & physically. Rom. 12:10 -13
Exalt & Glorify God through praise, worship & good works. Eph. 3:20-21 & Mat. 5:16
Our leadership team recognizes the authority of God, and realizes that we are shepherds who serve under the Chief Shepherd, Jesus Christ. We desire to devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word. Our passion and goal is to equip the believers for the work of the ministry until we all attain maturity in the fullness of Christ.
Richard Coen, David Finley, Dan Greuel, Glen Hartman, Brett Poorman, Gary Schultz
“The Little White Church on the Hill” or Smyser Christian Church is the next to oldest church in Moultrie County. In 1837 a minister, Tobias Grider, decided to organize the church and held services in a school house until land was donated by S.M. Smyser. A traveling minister held church services about once a month.
In 1875 a new one-room building was erected. In 1948 an annex was built to provide more seating. Church services were held bi-monthly until 1950 when they began weekly worship services. In 1957 an addition was added to the little white church. In 1973 Ken Smyth became the first full-time minister. In 1976 the current building was erected across the road from the original church site.
From its beginning until 1997 Smyser Christian Church was governed by a board consisting of elders, deacons, and deaconesses elected by the congregation. In 1997 a ministry system was adopted. Under this system the elders, ministers and ministry team leaders are the decision-makers. The church is divided into several ministry areas. A ministry leader who is appointed by the elders leads each ministry area. Each area is then further divided into ministries with servant leaders appointed to oversee and direct that area enabling more members to be involved in the ministries of the church.